Thursday 20 February 2014

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Complex, Elusive and Sultry Swatches & Review


I bought into the hype, and boy am I glad I did! These matte balms are a gift from the gods, they really are matte, and not the drying kind!! I hate products that claim to be matte but have a sheen to them, and on top of that, dry your lips out! Luckily for us these little babies are super hydrating! Can you tell I'm excited?!?! 
I was hesitant to purchase these in case they were anything like the original Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains that I reviewed here, but these are definitely far superior and for £7.99 it's the exact same price as the stains, but 10x better!! The range of shades is brilliant with a total of 10 matte (excluding lacquer finish) colours to choose from, so there's definitely a shade to suit all tastes, skintones, eye colour, hair colour, etc etc etc!! 


Good 'ole Boots was doing a 3 for 2 offer on all Revlon products and I figured it would be rude not to.. so I picked up 3 of these in Sultry, Elusive and Complex.

Across the board these products are definitely moisturizing, and they still have that peppermint fragrance to them, just like the original, which is great if you like it! I don't, although, I'm not sure if it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I don't find the smell as strong as in the original Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains! I can wear these without any complaints in terms of fragrance! Yay!

I think the darker the shade, the nicer they apply. As I made my way through these three, lightest to darkest, I noticed they got progressively better!

Complex:


Bottom right picture is with flash, the other two in natural light.

I'm not actually sure why I picked this shade up.. I concluded from reading other reviews that it would be too pale from my skintone.. I even made a note to myself in my phone not to get this shade.. but stubborn me was determined to make it work! I don't think it makes me look like a corpse.. maybe borderline.. 
The colour is fine after initial application when it's had a chance to settle in, but it originally goes on quite sheer and patchy, yet feels moisturizing... odd. It looks great with a gloss over the top though!
It lasted me about 3 hours before most of it had faded, and any residue had settled into the lines on my lips (yuck).
My least favourite of the bunch, but still not a bad product all in all!
Rating: 3/5

Elusive:


This is a lovely muted pink, actually not far off 'Please Me' by MAC! I'm not sure if pinks compliment my skintone, but I shall continue to wear them until someone outright tells me it looks fugly haha.
The balm glides on smoothly and doesn't cling to any dry patches, it's a perfect everyday pink that would flatter all skin tones. I like how the colour is not something you'd need to have bags of confidence to wear out in public, like you may need (I know I do!) with a bright or deep colour!
I do my makeup at around 6am and don't get home until 8:30pm some days, and this lasted me the full day with only one reapplication!! What the fudge that's amazing! It didn't accentuate any dry patches on my lips which is always a bonus, what a fab little thing!
I love this colour, definitely a very wearable colour for all skin types, and fantastic lasting power!

Rating: 5/5 oh yeahhhh!

Sultry:


This shade was the best formula wise, it glides on like a dream! This is the shade out of the three I'd recommend everyone should run out and buy right now haha.
It feels like you're applying a lipbalm, yet it doesn't have that slippery consistency that creamy products tend to have, meaning it stayed in tact, with no bleeding, for the full day! It doesn't settle into lines and it doesn't dry out your lips, because it's suuuuper moisturising!
The colour is opaque and a unique shade that I can't quite describe. It's not a berry colour, or a deep red, but a soft red that is perfect for when you want a pop of colour. 
This colour and cat winged eyeliner = simple, yet seductive. Ooooh.
This is another shade that will last you literally all day. Amaaaazing.

Rating: 5/5

Final Verdict

I totally should have gotten the purple shade Shameless, I was swithering between Shameless and Complex for 10 minutes, but I'll take this as an excuse to build my collection of these little beauties he he.
These aren't stains, and I did experience a fair bit of transfer when eating and drinking, but not any more so than with any of my other lipsticks.
They're highly moisturizing, such a rare quality in matte lip products, which is great for my dry lips and matte obsession!
For £7.99 I'd say these are affordable, totally worth the hype, and you'll most likely be able to get them on some kind of promotion throughout the year! (ps. Superdrug are currently selling them for £5.99 until sometime in March ;))
At least buy one to try, and then you'll understand the hype ;)

Thanks for reading & take care! :) 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment